Job Title: Volunteer Coordinator
Salary: £24,000 – £29,000 depending on experience
Location: Office-based, Cardiff Capital Retail Park
Contract: Fixed-Term, 12 months (full-time)
opportunities for extension and willing to consider freelance, part-time or shorter term contracts
Company: Run 4 Wales Ltd
Reporting To: Head of Event Delivery
Run 4 Wales, the events team behind some of Wales’ biggest mass participation events, including the Cardiff Half Marathon, is looking for an enthusiastic Volunteer Coordinator to join their busy team, working with one of the biggest volunteer teams in Wales.
Volunteers are essential to the success of our events and we couldn’t do it without them. The Volunteer Coordinator will focus on the day to day running and development of the current volunteer programme as well as supporting and managing our volunteers in their roles at our events.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be an integral part of the event operations team which currently deliver the Cardiff Bay 10km Run, Newport Wales Marathon and 10km, Porthcawl 10km, Barry Island 10km, Dell Technologies Management Challenge and the Cardiff University Cardiff Half Marathon.
Experience in managing volunteers is essential. The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent interpersonal and strong organisational skills, time management, organisation, customer service, project and planning experience. Previous on-site outdoor event experience is an advantage.
Alongside the Head of Event Delivery, the successful candidate will be responsible for planning, coordinating, delivering an established volunteer programme and ensuring a consistent delivery of Run 4 Wales’ objectives to deliver high quality sustainable mass-participation events.
This is a rare opportunity to work for a growing and forward-thinking company, who reward hard work and commitment with an engaging and flexible working environment.
This is a full-time position, working Monday – Friday during regular office hours (9am to 5pm) as well as event weekends.
What we offer staff:
We’re a close-knit team. We pride ourselves on creating a truly unforgettable experience for the tens of thousands of people who attend our events each year.
We love what we do and approach our ambitious goals with hospitality, humour and a unique set of shared values.
As well as a rewarding career, we offer a range of benefits:
- Generous holiday allowance, for a healthy work/life balance
- Time off in lieu given for any weekends work
- 3 additional paid days off over the Christmas holidays
- Part and flexible working opportunities
- Company handset and calls/data
- Flexible options for parents or those looking to take the trip of a lifetime
- Flexible working arrangements
- 40 hours of training and development available for every team member
- Generous Company pension scheme
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay available
- Tax-efficient scheme for childcare vouchers, bikes and clothing
- Showers available for those choosing to run, walk or cycle to work
- Confidential independent counselling and advice
- Three days a year to give back to the community
- Free annual eye test
- Maintain and develop a recruitment strategy to attract a high calibre and quantity of volunteers to achieve set targets across all events.
- Develop the Extra Miler brand and volunteer programme with innovative ideas to engage our volunteers and wider audience.
- Manage volunteer enquiries and data via the volunteer management system (Rosterfy) as well as email, phone, website and social media.
- Manage and recruit volunteer leads, paid supervisors, co-ordinators and groups of volunteers.
- Create event briefings, role descriptions, training, newsletters and pre-event communication to inform volunteers/supervisors and maintain their commitment and motivation.
- Work closely with the Event Manager and Race Director to develop volunteer, stewarding and course resource/marshalling plans.
- Prepare a volunteer plan, schedules and event documentation to ensure the safe and successful delivery of events.
- Event day supervision of all volunteers, their supervisors and the functional/delivery areas they are supporting – eg Water Stations, Bag Drop areas etc
- Pack event equipment for event volunteers and set up the volunteer hub at all events.
- Prioritise tasks when under pressure an demonstrate an ability to quickly adapt to changing situations.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of Run 4 Wales events with the aim of continuing to improve the events according to the company’s ethos and ambitions.
- Manage and monitor a set budget.
- Assist and support other staff in event coordination.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience managing volunteers and delivering a successful volunteer programme
- Ability to work event weekends
- Experience recruiting volunteers from different sectors of the community
- Experience of management tools, processes and practices
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent time management and organisation and evaluation skills
- UK driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles
- Ability to multi-task and work flexibly across different project areas
- Must enjoy and work well in a team environment
- Excellent IT skills on a range of software
- Event experience and a good knowledge and understanding of sporting events
- Knowledge, experience or qualifications of event health and safety practices
- An interest in an active lifestyle
- Welsh speaking
HOW TO APPLY
We are looking forward to hearing from you, so please complete the short application form and equality form and attach your up-to-date CV. In your application please let us know why you believe you are suitable for the role, evidencing against the job description and skills and experience required for this role.
Submit: Please email your application to: email@example.com
Deadline: For your application to be fullyconsidered please ensure your application reaches Run 4 Wales by the deadline of 12 noon on Friday 21 January.
We will continually review applications as they are submitted and reserve the right to invite candidates to interview or fill the position before the deadline date.
Due to the volume of applications, it may not be possible to acknowledge all applications or provide feedback to candidates who are not selected for interview.
Run 4 Wales is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to delivering on our equality policies. We welcome applicants from all sections of the community, particularly under-represented groups. If you require assistance with your application, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org,or write to us at Run 4 Wales, Capital Retail Park, Pod 1, Leckwith Rd, Cardiff, CF11 8EG.